Article: “First Sylhet-Silchar Festival begins today”
- The first Sylhet-Silchar Festival celebrating the close cultural ties between the neighbouring regions of India and Bangladesh will begin in Barak Valley.
- Bangladesh Foreign Affairs Minister AK Abdul Momen will lead a delegation of around 75 members, which will include ministers, businessmen and cultural icons, to attend the two-day event, the neighbouring country’s Assistant High Commissioner in Assam.
- The festival, which aims at boosting bilateral relations between the two nations, is being organised by India Foundation under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Culture in association with the Bangladesh Foundation for Regional Studies.
- The event will commemorate 75 years of India’s Independence and 50th anniversary of Bangladesh’s liberation from Pakistan.
- Eminent people from both sides will discuss issues of mutual interest. The festival will showcase opportunities in the healthcare, tourism and education sectors.
- Silchar and Sylhet have umbilical links... This is a golden opportunity for people in both countries to go back to their roots.