About Natasurya Phani Sarmah:
- Phani Sarma (1910–1970) was an Indian theatre actor, playwright, film actor and director.
- Beginning as a stage actor, he appeared in the first film ever made in Assamese cinema, Joymati, in 1935 by Jyoti Prasad Agarwala. Sarma went on the star in Agarwalla's second picture Indramalati.
- Sarma was conferred with the title "Natasurya" for his contribution towards Assamese drama.
- He acted in and directed Siraj in 1948 and Piyoli Phukan in 1955.
- His last film was Ito Sito Bahuto in 1963 where he appeared as an actor rather than taking the director's helm.