- India every year honours people making outstanding contributions in various fields with the four highest civilian awards – Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- The process of selection earlier was somewhat obscure.
- But, from this year, 2022, provisions have been made for public nominations, and even self nomination, which is truly a very laudable step taken by the Narendra Modi Government.
- Through this write-up(Article), it’s a wish to make a case for honouring the colossus of Assam, as well as India, RG Baruah, with an award befitting his contributions.
About RG Baruah:
- He founded the Assam Tribune in 1939.
- He was a sports enthusiast who was president of the Assam Cricket Association for over a decade.
- The iconic Nehru Stadium in Guwahati was built under his leadership in 1962.
- He is also noted for his contributions to the society and culture of Assam. He is called "the architect of modern Assam" for his being "instrumental in realizing the educational needs" of the Assamese people.
- Radha Govinda Baruah College(or R G Baruah College) in Guwahati is named after him. He is also called the Sinhapurush ("Lion Man") for his immense bravery and enthusiasm.
- Admist hurdles and challenges, to be able to touch the sky and to enable Assamese youth to achieve it, he established the Assam Flying Club to train the youths in the arena of aviation, in an era when only a countable few could think about it.