The construction of the permanent building of the AHRC is considered as a “red letter day” in its history. This building would prove to be a temple in upholding the rights of the people of Assam and assist the Commission to render its justice delivery system.
About Assam Human Rights Commission:
- AHRC- established in 1996.
- It is responsible for the protection and promotion of human rights, defined by the Act as "rights relating to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual guaranteed by the Constitution or embodied in the International Covenants".
- The first Chairman of the commission was Justice Aftab Hussain Saikia
- Assam has been witness to abuses such as trafficking in women and infringement of rights of children, problems that the AHRC must tackle.
- Also, 51 people have been killed and 139 injured by the Assam Police since May 2021, a fact which the Gauhati High Court has taken cognizance of, and it is up to the AHRC to act on such an issue.
- It would be a negation of its role if the AHRC merely waits for cases of infringement of human rights to be brought to its notice; instead, it must proactively tackle these whenever they occur.